Wednesday, May 8

words for wednesday {page 2, moving hangover}




 
“We must learn to regard people less in light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.”


Dietrich Bonhoeffer


These words are sage and fabulous. They apply to so many things, but in my situation I can feel judged as lazy when people don’t have a proper grasp of what my sickness is like. I also regard people in light of what they do or don’t do, too much. I judge myself similarly, and consequently feel like I am a failure. 


“This too shall pass.”


This is the quote that I murmur when I am absolutely sure that this shall certainly not pass, ever, ever, ever. Right now as I am profoundly hung-over from moving towns {again}, and pessimistic thoughts hang around me, I have one rational thought: that this post-exertion misery won’t last forever. 


“It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness.”


Leo Tolstoy


A food for thought quote by the incredible Tolstoy.

His Anna Karenina character is so beautiful and messed up like so many of the people we adore today. I’d like to see the film, but I don’t suppose it could compare to the novel.


That is all for today, as I dare not write too much lest I undo some of the good that rest has brought about. On my bedside table is the Bonhoeffer biography, on my TV an Australian Ballet DVD {La Fille Mal Gardee}, in my fridge there are meals from lovely people, and in a cosy bedroom is our soft bed. So there really couldn’t be a better place in the world to hibernate and wait for better days.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. That Bonhoeffer quote is just so perfect. I was trying to sum up why I feel so comfortable at our new church so I could pass it on to you and this quote has done it for me. I'm glad you have meals and Tolstoy and a cosy bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually the loveliest thing that could be said about your little church - I look forward to meeting them soon, and you! I can't get over the truth of that quote :-) x

      Delete